KIPP and ZGA
KIPP Houston and Zina Garrison Academy Partner on New Facility
KIPP Houston and the Zina Garrison Academy have formed a partnership to construct a tennis and educational complex at KIPP Houston’s Sunnyside Campus on Scott Street in Houston, TX. The KIPP partnership will allow the Academy to reach more underserved youth with an emphasis on the Sunnyside neighborhood, close to where Zina Garrison grew up and honed her tennis and life skills with Coach John Wilkerson at MacGregor Park.
Benefits of the new Zina Garrison Academy (ZGA) at KIPP Houston include:
- Growth and expansion of all ZGA programs including health and fitness, life skills, community service, academics and tennis instruction
- Teaching tennis and life skills to KIPPsters as part of the KIPP physical education curriculum
- After school and summer programming for KIPP students in addition to ZGA participants
- Relationship with KIPP Honor Society for ZGA students
- Continued emphasis on developing a well-rounded child with KIPP’s standards of 51% character, 49% academics, and grit and zest to be successful in the competitive world and beyond
- Use of the facility for recreational use by the surrounding community
- Tennis play days, clinics and tournaments for the community
With this partnership, the Zina Garrison Academy will begin the process of site analysis and
preparation, soil evaluation, design work and engineering. Phase I will include ten tennis courts and a temporary educational facility while Phase II will include a permanent educational facility and additional tennis courts. The ZGA will develop community and business partners to help fund the capital needed to construct the new facility. Construction is anticipated to begin by early 2013.